BillionGraves iOS App now available in 25 languages!
Last month we announced our international collaboration with MyHeritage to make BillionGraves available to every person in the world. Today we are happy to announce the release of our BillionGraves app in the iTunes markets in 25 languages!
That’s right, the BillionGraves app is now available in 25 languages!! For those of you who have always wondered what the BG app looked like in Dutch, or Hebrew; well, now you’ll be able to find out!
In this release there are also several bug fixes as well as enhancements to the on-device transcription features including handling of Hebrew dates.
The launch of the iOS app is only the first of many enhancements that will be coming very soon to BillionGraves. Some of these enhancement include the website and Android app available in 25 languages as well. Follow us on Facebook HERE to keep up to date with the latest news about new features!
Get the new BillionGraves app on iTunes NOW!
BillionGraves Golden Egg Contest Winners!
Week 1 of the BillionGraves Golden Egg Contest is officially over! What an incredible start to April with 82,502 photos taken and 90,705 new records transcribed! A big THANK YOU to everyone who contributed this weekend and found 17 Golden Eggs all over the world! Check out the leaderboard HERE!
This week’s Golden Egg clue was the date that Pope John Paul II passed away, April 2, 2005. Here are the 17 entries submitted over the weekend!
|4||Paul R. Smith||…CharlesAStevens/7379346|
|5||Paul R. Smith||…PaulETatman/7379118|
The winners of the BillionGraves Golden Egg Contest for week 1 are:
Bronze Egg ($10 Amazon gift card): Paulwuzhere
Silver Egg ($20 Amazon gift card): Kathleen
Golden Egg ($40 Amazon gift card): Paul R. Smith
****Winner’s check your BillionGraves email for information about claiming your prize!****
A big THANK YOU to everyone who participated in this week’s Golden Egg contest! Didn’t win this week? Don’t worry, you can still win a Golden Egg during week 2 of the Golden Egg Contest! So grab your phone, and start planning your trip to the cemetery this weekend! Remember, you need the clue to participate, so follow us on Facebook HERE and tune in this Wednesday for this week’s Golden Egg clue.
Happy BillionGraves’ing!Read More
BillionGraves Golden Egg Contest has officially begun!
To get things started off right, the clue to this week’s Golden Egg is going to be an easy one. If you have been following us on Facebook, [hint hint… go “like” us! 😉 ] you’ll notice our new “This Day in History” posts provided by History.com. What better way to start off our historical Golden Egg Contest with a clue from this day in history!
Want to know more about the Golden Egg Contest? Read more HERE then start hunting!
The clue to this weeks Golden Egg is…..
CLUE: When did Pope John Paul II pass away? Hint: Watch the video to find out!
Remember to follow all the guidelines and rules to qualify for the challenge each week! A quick refresher on the basic rules:
- The clue will be for a specific date (day, month AND year) of a significant moment in national or global history that you will need to find on a headstone between the Wednesday and Sunday (11:59pm) of that week.
- If you find a headstone with the special date (day, month AND year), you’ve found a BillionGraves Easter Egg!
- Take a picture and upload it to BillionGraves through the mobile application
- Copy and paste the URL into the comments section of this Blog post.
For a full recap of all the rules check them out HERE!
Good luck and Happy Hunting! 🙂Read More
HAPPY EASTER FROM BILLIONGRAVES!
April is an amazing month. Mother Nature is making the transition between seasons, the flowers are blooming and the warmth of summer seems like it’s just around the corner. It’s a time of year when more and more people start to venture outside, shaking off the snowflakes of winter to soak up the warm rays of spring. For many, it’s also the month that Easter is celebrated.
To celebrate this, we’re launching an April promotion that will have you outside enjoying the outdoors AND earning great prizes from BillionGraves. We’re happy to announce the BillionGraves 2014 Global Easter Egg Hunt!
Here are the details:
- Each Wednesday in April (the 2nd, 9th, 16th and 23rd) we’ll supply a clue on our Blog, Facebook Page Found here, and Instagram page Found here.
- The clue will be for a specific date (month, day AND year) of a significant moment in national or global history that you will need to find on a headstone between the Wednesday and Sunday (11:59pm) of that week.
Example: ****What day was the declaration of independence signed?****
- If you find a headstone with the special date (month, day AND year), you’ve found a BillionGraves Easter Egg!
- Take a picture and upload it to BillionGraves through the mobile application
- Copy and paste the URL into the comments section of the Blog post for that week.
Qualified submissions MUST BE NEW UPLOADS. No duplicates!
- All Easter egg finders will receive a BillionGraves pin for their participation. However, three special Easter egg finders will be randomly selected for the Golden Egg Grand Prize (worth $40 in value), the Silver Egg (worth $20) and the Bronze Egg (worth $10). Details on the Golden Egg Grand Prize for that week will be released on each Wednesday on our Blog, Facebook page and Instagram account. Be sure to follow us! HERE
- Winners will be determined on the following Monday (April 7th, 14th, 24th), with the exception of the last Golden Egg Grand Prize winner being announced on April 30th.
To qualify to win:
- The picture must be an original record to the BillionGraves database. No duplicates! Try to find cemeteries and headstones in new areas not yet touched by photographers.
- Photos must be submitted no later than the Sunday of the current week at midnight GMT. Photos can be submitted by pasting the URL of the uploaded photo into the “comments” section of the Blog post for that week.
- Photographer must have added a minimum of 100 photographs to the BillionGraves database that week to be considered in the Golden/Silver/Bronze egg drawings. The more BillionGraves Easter Eggs you find, the more entries into the Golden/Silver/Bronze egg drawing you’ll earn!
- Each week will require an additional 100 photographs to be considered a valid entry for the following week.
Q: How do I find an Easter egg?
A: Stay tuned to our Blog, Facebook Page Found Here, and Instagram Account Found here for the special clue. The special clue will be about a significant date in history (global or national). Find this date on a headstone that hasn’t been entered into the BillionGraves database and you’ve found an Easter Egg! Upload the photo, then copy and paste the image URL into the comments section of the Blog post for that week on the BillionGraves Blog.
Q: Can a transcriber find an Easter Egg?
A: This month’s promotion is for photographs only. It’s warm outside! Grab your camera/smartphone/tablet, head outside, and find a BillionGraves Easter Egg! We’ll make it worth your while! We will still offer the April Pin to the top 50 Transcribers and Photographers.
Q: Can I win a Golden/Silver/Bronze Egg more than once in April?
A: Yes, you can! The more Easter Eggs you find, the more entries you’ll have to win the Golden, Silver or Bronze Egg for that week.
Q: Does the Special Date have to be a Birth date or Death date on a headstone? What if it’s the “Married” date?
A: All we are looking for is the Special Date on any part of a headstone, grave marker or memorial. We’ll accept, Birth, Death, Military Leave or Return, or Married. If you can think of or see any other dates that could be posted on a gravestone, take a picture and let us know in the comments section of the Blog. We’d love to see them!
The Fine Print. (Cause we have to have fine print, right?)
- This promotion isn’t intended to promote any particular religious celebrative aspects of Spring and Easter, nor force upon anyone any particular type of religious beliefs. While Easter is held by many Christians as a highly religious holiday, Easter eggs and Easter egg hunts are traditions held by many different cultures, groups, faiths and families. We respect the right to celebrate in any safe and responsible way possible.
- This promotion is intended for photographers only. Sorry, transcribers. Let’s go outside!
- If you or another user marks a headstone picture as “bad” we deduct it from the uploader’s total images. And we’ll call you and make fun of you.
- Make sure you have permission and are welcome to take pictures in your local cemetery before doing so. Remember, private cemeteries require permission of the owner before taking any pictures. No one likes a trespasser! Not cool!
- This promotion is open to all to participate for free. Registration is required. (Register HERE. Come on.You know you want to. It’s free!)
- More than one individual may contribute to a single account, however, the limit is one prize redemption per BillionGraves account.
- Items will ship in 6-8 weeks after contest closes for winners in the U.S. Please allow 8-12 for winners outside the U.S. However, our shipment robots are getting faster!
- Recipients will be required to provide a mailing address for physical items.
A big thank you to all the transcribers and photographers who participated this month in the March BillionGraves Madness and Win the Pin contests!
The warmer weather and beautiful sunshine were a perfect combination to make it the best March for photos and records created in a single month. On top of that it is also the 2nd highest month in company history with 358,823 photos and 398,960 records transcribed. A HUGE thank you to all of you for making it possible!
Check out the winners of the March BillionGraves Madness Bracket leader board below:
March BillionGraves Madness Winners!
|Top Transcriber||Top Photographers|
|1. StoneScriber 29,105||1. TommyT 18,654|
|2. clyork0415 20,199||2. sunsearch 13,861|
|3. margiedaniels 12,223||3. thetimeisnow 13,131|
|4. HonestAbe 10,913||4. gpsguy 6,539|
|5. PookasMama 8,363||5. CopCruisers 6,089|
|6. streams45 8,286||6. TabathaFBrown 6,085|
|7. RustyRivet 7,939||7. Jim Pack 6,063|
|8. melohnt 7,897||8. ryuyuki 5,043|
|9. trishkovach 6,624||9. Sabrinabettridge 4,605|
|10. Melany 6,154||10. keithbowden 4,376|
|11. Linda 5,536||11. jodie1 4,318|
|12. KRobDFW 5,482||12. Tombstoneguy 4,048|
|13. MaggieMyst 5,114||13. NightWolf 3,917|
|14. ljpatockhewitt 5,080||14. OurFamilyBefore 3,652|
|15. debd1232 5,055||15. OpiumEater 3,442|
If you didn’t make the Bracket you still might have won the March pin! Check for your name below!
Here are the lucky winners of the first ever March ‘Win the Pin’ contest winners!
|Top Photographers||Top Transcribers|
|1. TommyT 18,654||1. StoneScriber 29,105|
|2. sunsearch 13,861||2. clyork0425 20,199|
|3. thetimeisnow 13,131||3. margiedaniels 12,223|
|4. gpsguy 6,539||4. HonestAbe 10,913|
|5. CopCruisers 6,089||5. PookasMama 8,363|
|6. TabathaFBrown 6,085||6. streams45 8,286|
|7. Jim Pack 6,063||7. melohnt 7,939|
|8. ryuyuki 5,043||8. RustyRiver 7,897|
|9. Sabrinabettridge 4,605||9. trishkovach 6,624|
|10. keithbowden 4,376||10. Melany 6,154|
|11. jodie1 4,318||11. Linda 5,536|
|12. Tombstoneguy 4,048||12. KRobDFW 5,482|
|13. NightWolf 3,917||13. debd1232 5,114
|14. OurFamilyBefore 3,652||14. ljpatockhewitt 5,080|
|15. OpiumEater 3,442||15. MaggieMyst 5,055|
|16. Paulwuzhere 3,327||16. gopanowitz 4,699|
|17. Rbemis01 3,092||17. Mptothill 4,511|
|18. h12tjp 3,002||18. Lisa 4,310|
|19. kvheagleproject 2,921||19. limeyrr 4,248|
|20. ronniemcconnelljr 2,904||20. maz591 3,922|
|21. CStewartEagle 2,741||21. DdraigGoch 3,727|
|22. Mptothill 2,720||22. VeganHiker 3,495|
|23. Whitejaegar 2,615||23. CarolEdythe 3,365|
|24. kblack 2,594||24. edeainfj 3,227|
|25. STEVE N 2,591||25. guthrm 3,176|
|26. Pjonesy 2,461||26. MsXray40 3,154|
|27. Paul Shaffer 2,430||27. TPV 2,890|
|28. rookie 2,415||28. ellentserv 2,736|
|29. Quiet_stroll 2,332||29. rogersne 2,718|
|30. chickenfarm 2,239||30. Melyssawebb 2,661|
|31. splash1857 2,222||31. keithbowden 2,642|
|32. jed8165 2,085||32. Random 2,608|
|33. jbdc_99 2,001||33. yorksfive 2,458|
|34. carolcg 1,971||34. craftsrus 2,456|
|35. MyHChiefGen 1,964||35. Sharyn 2,409|
|36. gilad 1,949||36. MustangTracy65 2,348|
|37. BigBearFreddy 1,901||37. MargieW 2,341|
|38. Rlturner53 1,741||38. huskerken 2,302|
|39. Elad Ash 1,699||39. Pianomom3 2,230|
|40. Nancy Alford 1,699||40. vblackledge 2,144|
|41. larcol 1,687||41. jbdc_99 2,045|
|42. Alan 1,683||42. HelenMcK 2,037|
|43. Bryce Fifield 1,659||43. email@example.com 1,998|
|44. casmomof4 1,629||44. roni46 1,940|
|45. JoyR 1,614||45. Pjonesy 1,925|
|46. DGEagle 1,604||46. LHM 1,921|
|47. Toddulmer 1,603||47. celestyna 1.909|
|48. thunderbird584 1,590||48. RachelE 1,908|
|49. folkreligion 1,570||49. Teresa 1,852|
|50. Random 1,516||50. lizbrown 1,843|
If you are on this list, please make sure your email on your BillionGraves account is your correct current email address. We will be emailing you through the email on your account. You will need to provide us a shipping address where you would like your March Pin and Prizes sent. So watch your inbox for that this week. Remember all prizes must be redeemed by the 15th of the month! 🙂
Thanks again to all who contributed this month! We sure appreciate all your many contributions!
*The “Top” $25 Amazon Gift Card
**”Top Two”: Portable Device Charger (a $20 value)
***”Top Four” BillionGraves T-Shirts
****”Top Eight” BillionGraves Original Collectors Pin
***** Everyone in the top 100: the March 2014 Pin
-All images uploaded from midnight (GMT) March 1st to midnight (GMT) March 31st 2014 are counted toward the March Madness Competition.
-Make sure you have permission and are welcome to take pictures in your local cemetery before doing so. Remember, private cemeteries require permission of the owner before taking any pictures.
-If you or another user marks a headstone picture as “bad” we deduct it from the uploader’s total images.
-Winners will be announced at the end of the month on the BillionGraves blog. Prizes must be claimed by the 15th of the following month via email to qualify for shipment of prizes.
-Promotion is open to all to participate for free. Registration is required.
-More than one individual may contribute to a single account, however, the limit is one prize redemption per BillionGraves account. [UPDATE: If user places in the bracket they will receive the prize pertaining to their standing and not the sum of all prizes. However; all 50 top transcribers and photographers will receive the March Pin].
-Items will ship in 6-8 weeks after contest closes for winners in the U.S. Please allow 8-12 for winners outside the U.S.
-Recipients will be required to provide a mailing address for physical items.
-All images must be uploaded/transcribed no later than midnight (GMT) on the last day of the month.