The BillionGraves team is proud to announce that we have reached 15,000,000 million GPS headstone records, and 251,912 users! This is a big milestone in growth of BillonGraves! Thanks to all the contributors around the world! For those of you who prefer to see stats in a pretty little picture, we’ve created this small info graphic for you! 🙂
Summer is mid swing and filled with family vacations, reunions, local festivities! What a wonderful time of the year! Even with all of these activities, it hasn’t stopped our users from creating another million searchable records to be shared with the world! This time, it only took 49 days for our transcribers to create another million records! With new partnerships and dedicated contributors, we are growing our headstone record database internationally! With 604,890 records coming from the US, that means that nearly 400,000 records are coming from outside the US! That means more and more records are coming overseas! This is a huge advantage to those searching for ancestors overseas!
With more than 15 million GPS tagged headstone records (which excludes the millions of searchable “Supporting Records” also found on BillionGraves) BillionGraves maintains its place as the world’s largest and fastest growing collection of GPS tagged headstones in the world! That is incredible! We want to thank everyone who helped us reach 15,000,000 so quickly! We couldn’t have done it without the wonderful contributors who are visiting and photographing cemeteries throughout the world as well as all those transcribing all those images!
If you want some additional stats to feed your craving, here are some additional statistics:
2. (2) Australia: 1,147,138
3. (3) Canada: 791,280
4. (4) United Kingdom: 682,428
5. (5) New Zealand: 286,428
First of all, a big THANK YOU to all the transcribers and photographers who participated this month in the June Get Active Challenge! The warmer weather and beautiful sunshine were a perfect combination to make it one of the best months of the year.
This June was a great month with 497,368 new photos and 645,272 new records! Making June the highest month for our transcribers this year! Thank you to everyone who contributed to make this such a great month!
As promised, here are the winners of the June Get Active Challenge!
The top photographer/transcriber earning a Fitbit Surge Fitness Super Watch ($249.99 value)
Ben Ariel (46,368 photos) | Ladynwht (34,225 transcriptions)
The 2nd place photographer/transcriber earning a Fitbit Charge HR Heartrate+Activity Wristband ($149.99 value)
Huskerken (20,174 photos) | KC Brown (28,949 transcriptions)
The 3rd place photographer/transcriber earning a Fitbit Charge Activity + Sleep Wristband ($129.99 value)
OurFamilyBefore (10,581 photos) | Sarah_765 (26,547 transcriptions)
The 4th place photographer/transcriber earning a Fitbit Flex Activity + Sleep Wristband ($99.99 value)
Jim Lohr (8,562 photos) | Carolyn (22,046 transcriptions)
The 5th place photographer/transcriber earning a Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker ($59.99 value)
@ngel (7,938 photos) | NashvilleLady (14,410 transcriptions)
If you are on this list, please make sure your email on your BillionGraves account is your correct current email address. We will be emailing you through the email on your account. You will need to provide us a shipping address where you would like your Prizes to be sent. So watch your inbox for that this week. Remember all prizes must be redeemed by the 15th of the month! If you don’t get the email from us by July 10, please email email@example.com with your BG Username, Full Name, and Mailing address. 🙂
Thanks again to all who contributed this month! We sure appreciate all your many contributions!
Make sure to watch the blog for more information about our July challenge! It’s full of great prizes for photographers and transcribers!Read More
Wow! What an amazing month of May, with 1,248,026 total contributions made. That’s insane! We are extremely grateful for all of you that helped reach this amazing milestone. If you haven’t seen it yet, check out our month-end wrap-up of our great success in May -> HERE
As always, the greatest reward for your efforts comes from knowing that you are preserving invaluable genealogical records as well as making them readily available for family members to locate. PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE follow all the guidelines for taking the “PERFECT” picture! Need a refresher? Read this great article about the 7 ways to become the photographer that every genealogists loves!
However, we’ve got a little something that might help get you outside and into the cemeteries with your smartphones (Download the iOS App HERE, Download the Android App HERE, Download the Windows App HERE)
With the sun beginning to shine and the start of summer coming what better time to get out of the house and get your body moving! That’s why this month we are some great prizes for both photographers AND transcribers that will get you up and moving!
What better way to have a Get Active Challenge than with prizes that help you track your activity!
That’s right. Over the last year, fitness trackers have exploded in popularity as an incredible device to help monitor your daily activities! From the daily fitness guru’s to us programmers, we all need to get up and stretch our legs, and what better way than by a walk through the local cemetery with your BG app in hand!
So this month we are giving away Fitbit’s 5 cutting edge fitness monitoring devices to the top 5 photographers and transcribers! Here is how it works.
The top photographer/transcriber* will earn the Fitbit Surge Fitness Super Watch ($249.99 value)
The 2nd place photographer/transcriber** will earn the Fitbit Charge HR Heartrate+Activity Wristband ($149.99 value)
The 3rd place photographer/transcriber*** will earn the Fitbit Charge Activity + Sleep Wristband ($129.99 value)
The 4th place photographer/transcriber**** will earn the Fitbit Flex Activity + Sleep Wristband ($99.99 value)
The 5th place photographer/transcriber***** will earn the Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker ($59.99 value)
A SPECIAL NOTE FROM BILLIONGRAVES:
We want to give a Fitbit away to everyone!! Unfortunately, BillionGraves is a FREE site and we want to keep it that way! Remember, our goal is to document the world’s cemeteries and make it available to anyone and everyone for FREE!
We like to spice things up and give back as we can and will continue to do prizes and giveaways as we can! So for anyone who wants to step up and be apart of a very small elite group of volunteers, this month’s prize is just for you!
Other Helpful Tips
• Register! It’s 100% free and 100% necessary if you’re going to participate in this competition.
• Like us on Facebook! It’s simple to do and keeps you constantly up to date will all the new amazing things we are doing at BG!
• Make it a habit. Go to the cemetery regularly—incorporate a local cemetery into your daily walk or bike ride, and snap some pictures along the way.
• Contest begins June 1, 2015 and ends June 30, 2015 @ 12:00 am GMT (That’s 6 pm MST)
The Fine Print. (Cause we have to have fine print, right?)
- All photos and transcriptions must be submitted before the closing date of June 30, 2015 @ 12:00 am GMT (That’s 6 pm MST). Any submissions after that point will be excluded from the final results.
- This promotion is intended for photographers and transcribers. Let’s go outside!
- Supporting records will NOT be counted towards the monthly totals. Only images that originate from the genuine BillionGraves apps will be accepted.
- If you or another user marks a headstone picture as “bad” we deduct it from the uploader’s total images.
- For transcribers, we will be looking extra hard at the quality of transcriptions as well. We will erase the record and have it re-transcribed if it’s not done correctly. Any record not transcribed correctly will be deducted from your total.
- Make sure you have permission and are welcome to take pictures in your local cemetery before doing so. Remember, private cemeteries require permission of the owner before taking any pictures. No one likes a trespasser! Not cool!
- This promotion is open to all to participate for free. Registration is required. (Register HERE. Come on.You know you want to. It’s free!)
- More than one individual may contribute to a single account, however, the limit is one prize redemption per BillionGraves account. The prize will be claimed by only the username the combined work was completed under. BillionGraves will not arbitrate any disputes. ALL RECORDS MUST BE UNDER ONE ACCOUNT. BILLIONGRAVES WILL NOT COMBINE ACCOUNTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.
- Items will ship in 6-8 weeks after contest closes for winners in the U.S. Please allow 8-12 for winners outside the U.S. However, our shipment robots are getting faster!
- Due to current world-unrest, some areas may increase the amount of time it takes for prizes to be delivered. If for some reason your country isn’t compatible with iPad Mini, we will work with you to provide you with a prize that is equal in value.
- Recipients will be required to provide a mailing address for physical items.
- Winners will be required to provided completed tax forms for redemption of the prize
- REQUIRED: ALL PRIZES MUST BE CLAIMED WITH PROPER MAILING/DELIVERY INSTRUCTIONS BY THE 15TH OF JULY OR YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE THE PRIZE! WE WILL SEND OUT CONFIRMATION EMAILS BY THE 5th OF JULY. IF YOU DON’T RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL ASKING FOR YOUR ADDRESS, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SENDING IT TO US BY THE 15TH AT SUPPORT@BILLIONGRAVES.COM.
-The BillionGraves Team
1.2 Million More in May!
The final results are in and the numbers speak for themselves! 668,233 photos were taken, 579,793 records were transcribed (with an additional 807,483 images waiting to be transcribed)! With over 22,500 new BillionGraves users! In total volunteers made over 1,248,026 contributions during the month of May!
What an incredible feat! Considering monthly record breaking rain and across the United States that is INCREDIBLE! THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR THOUSANDS OF VOLUNTEERS AROUND THE WORLD FOR YOUR COUNTLESS HOURS VOLUNTEERING! We couldn’t do it without you!
A special congratulations to: Carolyn and JoMore for uploading and transcribing more than 50,000 images/records and earning your very own iPad Mini!
Carolyn from Utah has uploaded an astounding 104,356 photos and 39,327 transcriptions to BillionGraves since she joined in 2011! Just for this challenge she uploaded headstones from 6 states. Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and Nevada. That’s a LOT of traveling!
JoMore from Wisconsin has uploaded an amazing 33,985 photos and 57,564 transcriptions to BillionGraves since she joined in 2014! All of his photos came from 17 different cemeteries around Wisconsin!
Thank you both for going the extra mile and achieving such an incredible goal!
Also a special thank you to the top 50 photographers and transcribers who made it onto our leaderboard!
Winners: An email will be sent to your BG email by June 5, 2015 with instructions to claim your prize. Please complete the attached forms for redemption of prizes.Read More
The BillionGraves team is proud to announce that we have reached 14,000,000 million GPS headstone records, and 170,896 users! This is a big milestone in growth of BillonGraves! Thanks to all the contributors around the world! For those of you who prefer to see stats in a pretty little picture, we’ve created this small info graphic for you! 🙂
With record breaking rainfall across the United States and world-wide holidays, our contributors are still cranking out millions of records! This time, it only took 67 days for our transcribers to create another million records! With new partnerships and dedicated contributors, we are growing our headstone record database internationally! With 562,345 records coming from the US, that means that nearly 440,000 records are coming from outside the US! That is a huge change for us and a huge advantage to those searching for ancestors overseas!
With more than 14 million GPS tagged headstone records (which excludes the millions of searchable “Supporting Records” also found on BillionGraves) BillionGraves maintains its place as the world’s largest and fastest growing collection of GPS tagged headstones in the world! That is incredible! We want to thank everyone who helped us reach 14,000,000 so quickly! We couldn’t have done it without the wonderful contributors who are visiting and photographing cemeteries throughout the world as well as all those transcribing all those images!
If you want some additional stats to feed your craving, here are some additional statistics:
2. (2) Australia: 1,105,947
3. (3) Canada: 747,847
4. (4) United Kingdom: 657,388
5. (5) New Zealand: 268,378