You asked and we heard you. Announcing the BillionGraves Store, your one-stop shop to buy all the BillionGraves “swag” your heart desires!
To celebrate this grand event, we are giving YOU a discount on your first purchase! Use the promo code “BGROCKS” before checkout and you will get 15% off your entire order (good through November 15, 2013)!
We have T-shirts, polos, hats, visors, and more!
So take a look at the store and purchase your favorite gear! You can get to the store any time by just clicking on the “Store” link at the top of the BillionGraves homepage!
Questions, concerns, comments? Is there a product you would like us to add to the store? Contact email@example.com and let us know what you think!
If you’ve transcribed any images yesterday or today, you’ve probably noticed the new feature on our transcription page!
You can use this exciting new feature whenever you come across a headstone with some sort of military information on it. We made this feature as easy as possible for the transcriber in an effort to make the process as simple and seamless. Here’s how it works:
1. When you come across a military headstone, transcribe all the regular information as usual. After you’ve entered in the name, birth and death dates, etc., click on the “+ add military specific info” link.
2. Type in all military-related information EXACTLY HOW IT’S WRITTEN on the headstone. Do not lengthen any abbreviations or abbreviate any words. We have obtained a list of common titles and their abbreviations from the VA and have designed an auto-populate system that will take care of all the categorizing for you! (Read on to see how it works)
3. Click on the “+ Faith Emblem” link and choose which emblem is on the headstone. You can usually find these emblems at the top of the headstone, but sometimes they are found elsewhere as well (i.e. in between the birth and death dates).
5. Our site will work behind the scenes to auto populate the military fields found on the headstone that you will see on the individual record page. That being said, there are hundreds of thousands of abbreviations out there, some that are not even on the VA’s extensive list of official abbreviations. If you see an abbreviation that does not register with our system (i.e. this record) feel free to contact us and we would love to add it so our system will recognize it and publish it on the page.
Note: Even if the abbreviation doesn’t register with the form on the record page, it will still be saved with that particular image.
So go try out our new transcription tool and let us know what you think! If you have any suggestions on how to make this feature better, comment below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear your feedback!
What: BillionGraves is excited to be working with the VA to document military headstones in our Country’s National Cemeteries. To jump-start this project we will be coming to the Denver area to photograph the entire Fort Logan National Cemetery in Colorado.
Who: Anyone who is excited about genealogy and photographing cemeteries is welcome to come take pictures with us! We are also reaching out to Genealogy Societies throughout Colorado for support as well.
When: On October 18th, and 19th starting at 9 am. *Note: the dates have changed since the first email we sent out!* Our goal is to document the entire cemetery in just 2 short days!
Where: Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver, Colorado. We will meet each morning at the northeast entrance of the cemetery (called the “Funeral entrance” with the main building there). Call Hudson at 801-671-8177 if you can’t find us.
Why: BillionGraves is a headstone database company that uses the latest technology to capture and preserve the genealogical records found in cemeteries around the world. Through the FREE BillionGraves website and mobile application, users worldwide can take pictures (complete with GPS locations) and transcribe those images, creating an invaluable collection of priceless records for genealogists and family historians to connect with their ancestors.
With more than 5.5 million headstone records created by over 52,000 volunteers in just two short years, BillionGraves is the trusted resource for accurate and reliable GPS headstone and burial record data on the web with users in more than 212 different countries. Over 10 thousand records are added each day to the BillionGraves network and 3 thousand new registered users join every month.
How: All you need to bring is any of your friends and family with a Smartphone and a water bottle and we’ll take care of the rest! We will provide lunch, snacks, and some fun BillionGraves “swag”. To get a jump start on the project, please download the FREE BillionGraves app from the Android or iTunes store and register for a free account before you come.
As we are working closely with the Fort Logan Cemetery, please RSVP to Hgunn@billiongraves.com with the following information:
1. Contact information
2. T-shirt size
3. The number of people coming
4. What day(s) you are available to help!
This will allow the cemetery to prepare for our arrival and so we have enough food for everyone! Come be a part of this exciting new project! Feel free to tell and bring your friends, the more the merrier! See you in Colorado!
If you haven’t already, download the latest version from the Apple store!
If you’ve taken pictures before with the BillionGraves application only to realize that you forgot to link two images together, don’t worry! You can fix it!
First of all make sure you are linking images that need to be linked together. If you aren’t sure which images should be linked, find out here. Note: the images you see below shouldn’t really be linked, we only linked them for demonstration purposes.
Here’s how to link images together you missed after taking the picture. (For more information on linking images while taking pictures in a cemetery read more here.)
1. Make sure you are logged in to the BillionGraves website. Make sure you have also uploaded all your pictures from the app as well.
2. Click “My Photos” under the “Photos” tab. Note: you will only be able to link any pictures that you have taken (and that are listed on your account). If you come across any images that need to be linked but you did not take them, you can email email@example.com and we can fix those for you.
6. Click “Link Images.” You will then see the linked images below in the “linker history” section.