BillionGraves Golden Egg Contest has officially begun!
To get things started off right, the clue to this week’s Golden Egg is going to be an easy one. If you have been following us on Facebook, [hint hint... go "like" us! ] you’ll notice our new “This Day in History” posts provided by History.com. What better way to start off our historical Golden Egg Contest with a clue from this day in history!
Want to know more about the Golden Egg Contest? Read more HERE then start hunting!
The clue to this weeks Golden Egg is…..
CLUE: When did Pope John Paul II pass away? Hint: Watch the video to find out!
Remember to follow all the guidelines and rules to qualify for the challenge each week! A quick refresher on the basic rules:
- The clue will be for a specific date (day, month AND year) of a significant moment in national or global history that you will need to find on a headstone between the Wednesday and Sunday (11:59pm) of that week.
- If you find a headstone with the special date (day, month AND year), you’ve found a BillionGraves Easter Egg!
- Take a picture and upload it to BillionGraves through the mobile application
- Copy and paste the URL into the comments section of this Blog post.
For a full recap of all the rules check them out HERE!
Good luck and Happy Hunting!Read More
HAPPY EASTER FROM BILLIONGRAVES!
April is an amazing month. Mother Nature is making the transition between seasons, the flowers are blooming and the warmth of summer seems like it’s just around the corner. It’s a time of year when more and more people start to venture outside, shaking off the snowflakes of winter to soak up the warm rays of spring. For many, it’s also the month that Easter is celebrated.
To celebrate this, we’re launching an April promotion that will have you outside enjoying the outdoors AND earning great prizes from BillionGraves. We’re happy to announce the BillionGraves 2014 Global Easter Egg Hunt!
Here are the details:
- Each Wednesday in April (the 2nd, 9th, 16th and 23rd) we’ll supply a clue on our Blog, Facebook Page Found here, and Instagram page Found here.
- The clue will be for a specific date (month, day AND year) of a significant moment in national or global history that you will need to find on a headstone between the Wednesday and Sunday (11:59pm) of that week.
Example: ****What day was the declaration of independence signed?****
- If you find a headstone with the special date (month, day AND year), you’ve found a BillionGraves Easter Egg!
- Take a picture and upload it to BillionGraves through the mobile application
- Copy and paste the URL into the comments section of the Blog post for that week.
Qualified submissions MUST BE NEW UPLOADS. No duplicates!
- All Easter egg finders will receive a BillionGraves pin for their participation. However, three special Easter egg finders will be randomly selected for the Golden Egg Grand Prize (worth $40 in value), the Silver Egg (worth $20) and the Bronze Egg (worth $10). Details on the Golden Egg Grand Prize for that week will be released on each Wednesday on our Blog, Facebook page and Instagram account. Be sure to follow us! HERE
- Winners will be determined on the following Monday (April 7th, 14th, 24th), with the exception of the last Golden Egg Grand Prize winner being announced on April 30th.
To qualify to win:
- The picture must be an original record to the BillionGraves database. No duplicates! Try to find cemeteries and headstones in new areas not yet touched by photographers.
- Photos must be submitted no later than the Sunday of the current week at midnight GMT. Photos can be submitted by pasting the URL of the uploaded photo into the “comments” section of the Blog post for that week.
- Photographer must have added a minimum of 100 photographs to the BillionGraves database that week to be considered in the Golden/Silver/Bronze egg drawings. The more BillionGraves Easter Eggs you find, the more entries into the Golden/Silver/Bronze egg drawing you’ll earn!
- Each week will require an additional 100 photographs to be considered a valid entry for the following week.
Q: How do I find an Easter egg?
A: Stay tuned to our Blog, Facebook Page Found Here, and Instagram Account Found here for the special clue. The special clue will be about a significant date in history (global or national). Find this date on a headstone that hasn’t been entered into the BillionGraves database and you’ve found an Easter Egg! Upload the photo, then copy and paste the image URL into the comments section of the Blog post for that week on the BillionGraves Blog.
Q: Can a transcriber find an Easter Egg?
A: This month’s promotion is for photographs only. It’s warm outside! Grab your camera/smartphone/tablet, head outside, and find a BillionGraves Easter Egg! We’ll make it worth your while! We will still offer the April Pin to the top 50 Transcribers and Photographers.
Q: Can I win a Golden/Silver/Bronze Egg more than once in April?
A: Yes, you can! The more Easter Eggs you find, the more entries you’ll have to win the Golden, Silver or Bronze Egg for that week.
Q: Does the Special Date have to be a Birth date or Death date on a headstone? What if it’s the “Married” date?
A: All we are looking for is the Special Date on any part of a headstone, grave marker or memorial. We’ll accept, Birth, Death, Military Leave or Return, or Married. If you can think of or see any other dates that could be posted on a gravestone, take a picture and let us know in the comments section of the Blog. We’d love to see them!
The Fine Print. (Cause we have to have fine print, right?)
- This promotion isn’t intended to promote any particular religious celebrative aspects of Spring and Easter, nor force upon anyone any particular type of religious beliefs. While Easter is held by many Christians as a highly religious holiday, Easter eggs and Easter egg hunts are traditions held by many different cultures, groups, faiths and families. We respect the right to celebrate in any safe and responsible way possible.
- This promotion is intended for photographers only. Sorry, transcribers. Let’s go outside!
- If you or another user marks a headstone picture as “bad” we deduct it from the uploader’s total images. And we’ll call you and make fun of you.
- Make sure you have permission and are welcome to take pictures in your local cemetery before doing so. Remember, private cemeteries require permission of the owner before taking any pictures. No one likes a trespasser! Not cool!
- This promotion is open to all to participate for free. Registration is required. (Register HERE. Come on.You know you want to. It’s free!)
- More than one individual may contribute to a single account, however, the limit is one prize redemption per BillionGraves account.
- Items will ship in 6-8 weeks after contest closes for winners in the U.S. Please allow 8-12 for winners outside the U.S. However, our shipment robots are getting faster!
- Recipients will be required to provide a mailing address for physical items.
A big thank you to all the transcribers and photographers who participated this month in the March BillionGraves Madness and Win the Pin contests!
The warmer weather and beautiful sunshine were a perfect combination to make it the best March for photos and records created in a single month. On top of that it is also the 2nd highest month in company history with 358,823 photos and 398,960 records transcribed. A HUGE thank you to all of you for making it possible!
Check out the winners of the March BillionGraves Madness Bracket leader board below:
March BillionGraves Madness Winners!
|Top Transcriber||Top Photographers|
|1. StoneScriber 29,105||1. TommyT 18,654|
|2. clyork0415 20,199||2. sunsearch 13,861|
|3. margiedaniels 12,223||3. thetimeisnow 13,131|
|4. HonestAbe 10,913||4. gpsguy 6,539|
|5. PookasMama 8,363||5. CopCruisers 6,089|
|6. streams45 8,286||6. TabathaFBrown 6,085|
|7. RustyRivet 7,939||7. Jim Pack 6,063|
|8. melohnt 7,897||8. ryuyuki 5,043|
|9. trishkovach 6,624||9. Sabrinabettridge 4,605|
|10. Melany 6,154||10. keithbowden 4,376|
|11. Linda 5,536||11. jodie1 4,318|
|12. KRobDFW 5,482||12. Tombstoneguy 4,048|
|13. MaggieMyst 5,114||13. NightWolf 3,917|
|14. ljpatockhewitt 5,080||14. OurFamilyBefore 3,652|
|15. debd1232 5,055||15. OpiumEater 3,442|
If you didn’t make the Bracket you still might have won the March pin! Check for your name below!
Here are the lucky winners of the first ever March ‘Win the Pin’ contest winners!
|Top Photographers||Top Transcribers|
|1. TommyT 18,654||1. StoneScriber 29,105|
|2. sunsearch 13,861||2. clyork0425 20,199|
|3. thetimeisnow 13,131||3. margiedaniels 12,223|
|4. gpsguy 6,539||4. HonestAbe 10,913|
|5. CopCruisers 6,089||5. PookasMama 8,363|
|6. TabathaFBrown 6,085||6. streams45 8,286|
|7. Jim Pack 6,063||7. melohnt 7,939|
|8. ryuyuki 5,043||8. RustyRiver 7,897|
|9. Sabrinabettridge 4,605||9. trishkovach 6,624|
|10. keithbowden 4,376||10. Melany 6,154|
|11. jodie1 4,318||11. Linda 5,536|
|12. Tombstoneguy 4,048||12. KRobDFW 5,482|
|13. NightWolf 3,917||13. debd1232 5,114
|14. OurFamilyBefore 3,652||14. ljpatockhewitt 5,080|
|15. OpiumEater 3,442||15. MaggieMyst 5,055|
|16. Paulwuzhere 3,327||16. gopanowitz 4,699|
|17. Rbemis01 3,092||17. Mptothill 4,511|
|18. h12tjp 3,002||18. Lisa 4,310|
|19. kvheagleproject 2,921||19. limeyrr 4,248|
|20. ronniemcconnelljr 2,904||20. maz591 3,922|
|21. CStewartEagle 2,741||21. DdraigGoch 3,727|
|22. Mptothill 2,720||22. VeganHiker 3,495|
|23. Whitejaegar 2,615||23. CarolEdythe 3,365|
|24. kblack 2,594||24. edeainfj 3,227|
|25. STEVE N 2,591||25. guthrm 3,176|
|26. Pjonesy 2,461||26. MsXray40 3,154|
|27. Paul Shaffer 2,430||27. TPV 2,890|
|28. rookie 2,415||28. ellentserv 2,736|
|29. Quiet_stroll 2,332||29. rogersne 2,718|
|30. chickenfarm 2,239||30. Melyssawebb 2,661|
|31. splash1857 2,222||31. keithbowden 2,642|
|32. jed8165 2,085||32. Random 2,608|
|33. jbdc_99 2,001||33. yorksfive 2,458|
|34. carolcg 1,971||34. craftsrus 2,456|
|35. MyHChiefGen 1,964||35. Sharyn 2,409|
|36. gilad 1,949||36. MustangTracy65 2,348|
|37. BigBearFreddy 1,901||37. MargieW 2,341|
|38. Rlturner53 1,741||38. huskerken 2,302|
|39. Elad Ash 1,699||39. Pianomom3 2,230|
|40. Nancy Alford 1,699||40. vblackledge 2,144|
|41. larcol 1,687||41. jbdc_99 2,045|
|42. Alan 1,683||42. HelenMcK 2,037|
|43. Bryce Fifield 1,659||43. email@example.com 1,998|
|44. casmomof4 1,629||44. roni46 1,940|
|45. JoyR 1,614||45. Pjonesy 1,925|
|46. DGEagle 1,604||46. LHM 1,921|
|47. Toddulmer 1,603||47. celestyna 1.909|
|48. thunderbird584 1,590||48. RachelE 1,908|
|49. folkreligion 1,570||49. Teresa 1,852|
|50. Random 1,516||50. lizbrown 1,843|
If you are on this list, please make sure your email on your BillionGraves account is your correct current email address. We will be emailing you through the email on your account. You will need to provide us a shipping address where you would like your March Pin and Prizes sent. So watch your inbox for that this week. Remember all prizes must be redeemed by the 15th of the month!
Thanks again to all who contributed this month! We sure appreciate all your many contributions!
*The “Top” $25 Amazon Gift Card
**”Top Two”: Portable Device Charger (a $20 value)
***”Top Four” BillionGraves T-Shirts
****”Top Eight” BillionGraves Original Collectors Pin
***** Everyone in the top 100: the March 2014 Pin
-All images uploaded from midnight (GMT) March 1st to midnight (GMT) March 31st 2014 are counted toward the March Madness Competition.
-Make sure you have permission and are welcome to take pictures in your local cemetery before doing so. Remember, private cemeteries require permission of the owner before taking any pictures.
-If you or another user marks a headstone picture as “bad” we deduct it from the uploader’s total images.
-Winners will be announced at the end of the month on the BillionGraves blog. Prizes must be claimed by the 15th of the following month via email to qualify for shipment of prizes.
-Promotion is open to all to participate for free. Registration is required.
-More than one individual may contribute to a single account, however, the limit is one prize redemption per BillionGraves account. [UPDATE: If user places in the bracket they will receive the prize pertaining to their standing and not the sum of all prizes. However; all 50 top transcribers and photographers will receive the March Pin].
-Items will ship in 6-8 weeks after contest closes for winners in the U.S. Please allow 8-12 for winners outside the U.S.
-Recipients will be required to provide a mailing address for physical items.
-All images must be uploaded/transcribed no later than midnight (GMT) on the last day of the month.
We’ve been working with MyHeritage for sometime now. But since we started our new global initiative, I’ve been amazed by some of things happening. Right from the start, MyHeritage organized a group project to document a particular cemetery in Israel using the BillionGraves app. The project involved about 80 people. It was a somewhat rainy Sunday morning. They documented one the oldest, largest cemeteries in Israel: The Segula Cemetery in Petah Tikva. Even with a little drizzle going on, they documented about 75% of the entire cemetery, totaling about 51,000 headstone images! They mapped it out well beforehand, so they knew exactly where to start when they went back to finish the remaining 25%. Each employee averaged 700 photos, at a rate of approximately 280 photos per hour. Some employees took over 1000 photos!
They discovered some of the state of Israel’s “founding fathers” buried in this cemetery.
This is the kind of thing “BillionGravers” experience. You’ll never know what you find. And it’s a rewarding experience in so many different ways. You’re documenting a cemetery, furthering genealogy work. Sometimes you come across a “gem”. Maybe it’s a headstone of someone famous. Other times it could be a cool, unique looking headstone. Other times it could be a barely legible headstone that you find in a middle-of-nowhere Peruvian forest. It’s always a thrill!
One of users, Charlene Boyd, says “Cemeteries tell so much about our history and it is up to us to listen to their stories.” Read more. Paul Smith, described it well: “When I get to the cemeteries, I find people I’m not looking for.” Read more.
I encourage all BillionGraves users- both previous users and new users to take a look at this MyHeritage event. It’s inspiring. Previous users, you helped us get started in documenting the world’s cemeteries, now we need your renewed efforts to help us finish! New users, you’ve probably already gotten a taste of how rewarding this experience is. Potential users, download the BillionGraves app and try it. You’ll see.
Our global user network is expanding. Especially because of our recent global initiative with MyHeritage. The effort to document the world’s cemeteries is on fire. Take a look at the success MyHeritage has had in Israel here. They coordinated a large group with a well drawn-out plan.
This was a well organized project. They mapped out sections and then sent out teams of two.
It was early Sunday morning in Israel. Cloudy and a bit drizzly. It didn’t stop the group from collecting over 50,000 images though!
These projects are always fun. It’s fun for yourself, your family, a group- everyone. It’s fun for older people. It’s fun for younger people.
We have a special request to all previous contributors: Let’s all work together to document every cemetery in the world! You’ve been a part of this since the beginning. Although you’ve been a huge part of the success in documenting cemeteries from your previous contributions, there is still more work to be done. This goal can be achieved with your renewed effort! Get re-engaged by organizing groups to document an entire cemetery, going out alone and gathering headstone photos, and/or go out as a family and gather the headstone photos of your own relatives. As you already know, it’s fun, easy, and rewarding. Not just for yourself, but for others who are waiting for a family member’s headstone photo to be uploaded from your area. You’d be surprised how many people will thank you for your contributions. We see it all the time. The example below inspires me:
Lyle Clugg received a message from another BillionGraves user saying, “You found my family’s graves. I live California. Lost my father as a child, and lost the family history with him. So amazing to find my great-grandmother’s grave, [as well as two of her children's graves]. THANK YOU! I saw their graves. Made my day.” Read more.
MyHeritage’s planning and coordination led to an incredible success. You can be part of your own success story. Documenting local graves is a tremendous way to get involved in preserving history.
March has been an amazing month for BillionGraves all over the world, thanks to all of our contributors new and old!
Not sure about you, but my NCAA bracket and dreams of winning 1 billion dollars from Warren Buffet are shot… but it’s not too late to make it into the BillionGraves Top Brackets! Week 1 is over which means there is only 1 week left to make it into the bracket and win some amazing prizes! (Don’t forget the bragging rights!)
Check out the updated bracket -> HERE
Not on the leader board? Want to win some killer prizes? Don’t worry there is still some time left! So charge up your smart phones, grab a friend, and head out to your local cemetery and take some great QUALITY photos! Make sure your name is on this year’s BillionGraves March Madness Bracket Leader board! Bragging rights included!