We’ve made a few improvements to the iOS app and wanted to let you know what we’ve changed. Here’s what you’ll be getting when you download the latest version of the app:
- Camera view is “what you see is what you get.” Because the aspect ratio of the picture doesn’t always match the size of the iPhone screen, a lot of users were unintentionally getting their feet and other objects in the picture. We now adjusted that so what you see on your screen is exactly the shot that is taken.
Because of this, you might see a black border around your screen in the camera view (especially if you are on an iPhone 5+). This is normal and will help you be able to take the exact picture you want.
- Display activity view when removing images. If you tap on “Remove all Images” the app now displays a spinner while the images are being removed. This didn’t happen previously and people were confused as to why the app wasn’t working. Now you’ll be able to see that the app is working on removing those images from the app for you.
Just be aware that if you are removing a lot of images, it may take some time to do this.
Some minor bug fixes. There are quite a few bugs we’ve fixed, and here are a few you might notice:
-better handling of indoors mode
-cemetery list now refreshes when you open the cemetery page
-fixed translations for spanish and portuguese in the Transcription view
-magic transcription parsing now works for spanish and portuguese
-and other minor bug fixes
If your phone doesn’t already do it automatically, make sure you download the latest app and happy BillionGraves-ing!
Our developers have been hard at work making some updates to the website. Here are a few of the changes they’ve made and what they mean:
Updates to the military transcription process: Our developers have added a few things to the military info on the transcribe page. They have also made it possible to edit the military info on an individual record page! Note: you need to be logged in to be able to edit a record.
Link to transcribe directly from cemetery page: Have you ever wondered how the progress is coming on a cemetery you are transcribing? Now you’ll be able to see on the individual cemetery page how many images still need to be transcribed! Just look for the yellow bar underneath the map of the cemetery!
Other small bug fixes: In other words, just cleaning some house.
Questions about these new updates? Comment below and let us know what you think!
If you haven’t already, download the latest version from the Apple store!
We have moved the app to a new home, so make sure you look for it in the right location. We’ve made lots of improvements on the app like: making the Android version compatible with the latest devices, fixing some minor bugs that would cause the app to crash, freeze, etc.
Once you have downloaded it, be sure to test out the app and let us know what you think! Please write a review on the Google Play store as well so others will be able to find us!
Want to help us out and test the latest Android Application? Here’s how:
1. Join the Google+ Community by opening the following Google+ Community link in your browser: https://plus.google.com/communities/111516486996995000940.
2. If you aren’t signed into your Google+ Account, you will need to sign in. If you don’t have a Google+ account, you will be asked to create one.
3. After you are signed in, click the red “Ask to Join” button in the top right corner of the community page.
4. If you look at the Community Page, you will see a post on September 3rd, 2013 by Brian Moncur that contains a link to the Google Play Beta Application Download Site. This link WILL NOT WORK until you are approved to be a part of the BillionGraves Android Beta-Tester Community.
However, once you are an approved member, you can use the link to download the beta-version of the app.
5. Once your join request has been submitted, the Community Administrator will approve your request within 24 hours. You will need to check the email address associated with your Google+ Account for notification of your approved request. The email will look like this:
6. When you view the community and click on the link to the Beta-Application Download Page, the link will now magically work for you. Here is the download link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.och.BillionGraves
Once you click the link, you will be presented with the following screen:
7. Once you arrive at the Google Play Store, you will see the following screen. Click the green “Install” button to initiate the installation to your device.
If you have more than one device connected to your account, you will see a secondary screen asking you to choose which device to install to. Choose your device and then click the green “Install” button.
8. If the installation was initiated successfully, you will see the following screen:
You can return to the download page OR leave the Beta-Testing group at any time by using the main Google Play Beta Link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.och.BillionGraves
9. Lastly, use your new app as much as possible and test all the different places in the app. If you run into any issues, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can get this release out as quickly as possible!
Thanks in advance for all your help!