After months of work in response to hundreds of user requests, BillionGraves has added several new features designed to validate and enhance the headstone records found on BillionGraves.
Introducing BillionGraves “Supporting Records”
The Supporting Record feature now allows users to upload evidence-based documents that support the BillionGraves records that have been collected through our mobile Apps. This means that users are now able to upload headstones, birth/death, burial, marriage, cremation, and many other types of records WITHOUT NEEDING A SMART PHONE!
[NOTE] BillionGraves will continue to emphasize the use of our mobile application to upload VERIFIED HEADSTONE RECORDS with their accompanying GPS locations and will remain a FREE resource to all.
Over the last 2 years, thousands of volunteers have uploaded millions of headstone photos with accompanying GPS locations from every corner of the globe. These records are viewed everyday by researchers around the world because these are VALIDATED and ACCURATE records. No fabrications. No interpretations. No assumptions. Here is an example of the information found currently on BillionGraves.
BillionGraves Headstone Record Example
- Headstone Photo
- Exact GPS Coordinates
- Transcribed Headstone Data
- Full Name, Date of Birth/Death, Epitaph, etc.
Thousands of records are being uploaded every day and are breaking down genealogy brick walls and making connections that once seemed impossible. While working closely with our users and genealogists we found that there were many headstones and burials that just couldn’t be accounted for with our current systems; including unmarked graves, cremation scatterings, destroyed stones, and so on.
Our Supporting Record features eliminate this problem while maintaining the validity and accuracy of the BillionGraves database.
Our new Supporting Records feature allows users anywhere in the world to add evidence-based documents that validate and create additional insight into headstone records found on BillionGraves. The addition of these Supporting Records will serve as an invaluable tool to genealogists in their research.
Here are some examples of supporting records:
Supporting Record Types
- Birth/Death Certificates
- Marriage Certificates
- Burial Records
- Cremation Records
- Unmarked Graves
- Military Records
- Headstone records WITHOUT GPS coordinates
- Any other type of record that supports and validates any BillionGraves Headstone Records
Let’s face it, we’ve all been plagued with headaches caused by incorrect/assumed information in our family trees. BillionGraves’ Supporting Records IS the solution to your problems!
By adding and linking supporting documents to headstones on BillionGraves, we are able to connect the dots between each headstone and each member in your family tree by using EVIDENCE and not assumptions. Creating an accurate family history to pass on through the ages.
How to get started?
Supporting records are already appearing in the search results. Search now, to see our Supporting Records in action!
To add Supporting Records of your own:
- Log in to your BillionGraves account. (Don’t have an account? Register for FREE today!)
- Select “Add Supporting Record” from the “Tools” drop-down menu to add one record at a time.
- To upload multiple records at once, select “Add Batch of Supporting Records” from the “Tools” drop-down menu.
Have headstone images, birth/death records, or documentation of unmarked graves? Use the new Supporting Records feature on BillionGraves today!
We’ve made a few improvements to the iOS app and wanted to let you know what we’ve changed. Here’s what you’ll be getting when you download the latest version of the app:
- Camera view is “what you see is what you get.” Because the aspect ratio of the picture doesn’t always match the size of the iPhone screen, a lot of users were unintentionally getting their feet and other objects in the picture. We now adjusted that so what you see on your screen is exactly the shot that is taken.
Because of this, you might see a black border around your screen in the camera view (especially if you are on an iPhone 5+). This is normal and will help you be able to take the exact picture you want.
- Display activity view when removing images. If you tap on “Remove all Images” the app now displays a spinner while the images are being removed. This didn’t happen previously and people were confused as to why the app wasn’t working. Now you’ll be able to see that the app is working on removing those images from the app for you.
Just be aware that if you are removing a lot of images, it may take some time to do this.
Some minor bug fixes. There are quite a few bugs we’ve fixed, and here are a few you might notice:
-better handling of indoors mode
-cemetery list now refreshes when you open the cemetery page
-fixed translations for spanish and portuguese in the Transcription view
-magic transcription parsing now works for spanish and portuguese
-and other minor bug fixes
If your phone doesn’t already do it automatically, make sure you download the latest app and happy BillionGraves-ing!
Our developers have been hard at work making some updates to the website. Here are a few of the changes they’ve made and what they mean:
Updates to the military transcription process: Our developers have added a few things to the military info on the transcribe page. They have also made it possible to edit the military info on an individual record page! Note: you need to be logged in to be able to edit a record.
Link to transcribe directly from cemetery page: Have you ever wondered how the progress is coming on a cemetery you are transcribing? Now you’ll be able to see on the individual cemetery page how many images still need to be transcribed! Just look for the yellow bar underneath the map of the cemetery!
Other small bug fixes: In other words, just cleaning some house.
Questions about these new updates? Comment below and let us know what you think!
You asked and we heard you. Announcing the BillionGraves Store, your one-stop shop to buy all the BillionGraves “swag” your heart desires!
To celebrate this grand event, we are giving YOU a discount on your first purchase! Use the promo code “BGROCKS” before checkout and you will get 15% off your entire order (good through November 15, 2013)!
We have T-shirts, polos, hats, visors, and more!
So take a look at the store and purchase your favorite gear! You can get to the store any time by just clicking on the “Store” link at the top of the BillionGraves homepage!
Questions, concerns, comments? Is there a product you would like us to add to the store? Contact email@example.com and let us know what you think!
If you’ve transcribed any images yesterday or today, you’ve probably noticed the new feature on our transcription page!
You can use this exciting new feature whenever you come across a headstone with some sort of military information on it. We made this feature as easy as possible for the transcriber in an effort to make the process as simple and seamless. Here’s how it works:
1. When you come across a military headstone, transcribe all the regular information as usual. After you’ve entered in the name, birth and death dates, etc., click on the “+ add military specific info” link.
2. Type in all military-related information EXACTLY HOW IT’S WRITTEN on the headstone. Do not lengthen any abbreviations or abbreviate any words. We have obtained a list of common titles and their abbreviations from the VA and have designed an auto-populate system that will take care of all the categorizing for you! (Read on to see how it works)
3. Click on the “+ Faith Emblem” link and choose which emblem is on the headstone. You can usually find these emblems at the top of the headstone, but sometimes they are found elsewhere as well (i.e. in between the birth and death dates).
5. Our site will work behind the scenes to auto populate the military fields found on the headstone that you will see on the individual record page. That being said, there are hundreds of thousands of abbreviations out there, some that are not even on the VA’s extensive list of official abbreviations. If you see an abbreviation that does not register with our system (i.e. this record) feel free to contact us and we would love to add it so our system will recognize it and publish it on the page.
Note: Even if the abbreviation doesn’t register with the form on the record page, it will still be saved with that particular image.
So go try out our new transcription tool and let us know what you think! If you have any suggestions on how to make this feature better, comment below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear your feedback!